[Techtalk] cvs tags and branches

Emma Jane Hogbin emmajane at xtrinsic.com
Wed Nov 26 14:03:40 EST 2003

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 11:19:57AM -0800, Cynthia Kiser wrote:
> Then make a new tag for the branch that is going to be your old
> client's maintenence branch:
> cvs tag -b oldclient-maintenence-branch
>
> Then check out that branch into the location you want your old client
> maintenence to occur
> cvs checkout -r oldclient-maintenence-branch \
>    -d /maintenence/server/dir repositoryname

Should I delete the original sandbox files for my first client after
creating a new sandbox? If the information is stored in /cvsroot, can I
completely nuke the client's sandboxes and just create a new repository if
they ever happen to come back with budget?

> If you want to do the create a new repository for the shared code, and
> then do vendor merges to yourself, just take a cvs export of the old
> client's code, delete anything that is too specific to them, then make
> a new repostory, and use a cvs export of that to create the starting
> repository for your new client.

This almost sounds like what I want to do, but
how would I get client #2's changes back onto the main branch. Would I be
able to do that? Is that where the "vendor imports" come in? Would I just
lay my new code back onto the base of the old client?

I have a feeling that at some point all of this will just click for me.
I'm pretty sure I understand what's going on, but my brain still /feels/
lost even though it's not. Must be because there are numbers involved. My
brain always shuts down when it sees numbers.

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]