[Techtalk] Opera Help with Replies

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Sun Nov 2 13:06:08 EST 2003

On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 10:53:11PM -0500 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
TechChiq thought:

> Now if I can find an offline mail reader that will let me see binary
> attachments inline... I tried the latest version of Pam and it won't
> work that way, in fact, from a list of headers, I had no idea what ones
> had an attachment and what didn't. Due to my interest in graphics, I
> like to hang out in the Jasc user forum and also in other groups where
> images, tubes, scripts, etc. are passed around (I'm careful :) and being
> on dialup, offline reading is preferred. Right now, I'm going back to
> KNode but that's online reading only. :(

You might consider serving your own email at home.  Use a combination of
fetchmail and sendmail to POP your email when connected and then point
evo at your local mail account.  As far as evo is concerned, it's just
another mail server.  This is not terribly clear is it?  It goes like
this:

You connect to the internet
fetchmail POPs your email and hands it to sendmail locally
sendmail puts it in your local mail spool
you point evolution at your /var/mail/spool/techchiq

Now that I look at your text above I see you mean a _news_ reader rather
than _mail_.  What you need there is leafnode.

NAME
       leafnode - NNTP server for small (dialup) sites

SYNOPSIS
       leafnode

DESCRIPTION
       Leafnode  is  a  USENET  package intended for small sites,
       where there are few users and little disk space, but where
       a large number of groups is desired.

       The  design  of  leafnode is intended to self-repair after
       problems, and to require no manual maintenance.

       The leafnode program itself is the NNTP server.  It is run
       from /etc/inetd.conf when someone wants to read news.  The
       other parts of the package,  fetchnews  and  texpire,  are
       responsible for fetching new news from another server, and
       for deleting old news.

Essentially, leafnode downloads a list of available newsgroups.  It then
serves these groups locally but with no content.  Rather, each newsgroup
listed contains one 'placeholder' message.  When a user views the
placeholder in a particular newsgroup, leafnode flags that group as 'of
interest'.  Next time fetchnews runs, it downloads that newsgroup and
continues to do so for as long as user 'interest' continues.  The timeouts
for interest are configurable by news server or globally.

To read news, you just point pan (or whatever) at localhost rather than
your normal news server.  I used this for some time at home on dialup.

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)