[Techtalk] Opera Help with Replies

TechChiq techchiq at hotpop.com
Sat Nov 1 23:53:11 EST 2003

On Sat, 2003-11-01 at 05:04, Hamster wrote:

> I'm afraid I've never used Opera mail. I guess it doesnt yet have the
> "smarts" to cope with a mailing list. Maybe you could try asking on an opera
> list if someone has a solution? What I used to do on another list, is set up
> a filter to put say, all techtalk email in one folder. I then set the
> properties on that folder so all replies to emails in that folder get sent
> to a specific address.

That's what Opera does as it has a Mail List folder. But it's hard to
reply to lists. I decided now to go back to Evolution. The reason I went
away from Evolution was because for gimp 1.3 to work, I needed the new
GTK+ 2.2.4 library. And I had to uninstall the old one that comes with
my distro. This broke evolution. :( But today I downloaded the sources
to the old version (stupid me... I actually have the sources on the
source CDs that come with my distro! LOL!) and compiled that into a
different dir, registered it for the library path and got Evolution and
Gimp 1.3 coexisting fine. Go me! LOL! ;) Opera's mail/news thing is some
database "revolutionary" M2 thing and quite frankly, I hate it. I did
give it a try but it wouldn't even get my Jasc newsletters in HTML. The
pictures were missing no matter what I did! :( At least Evolution I have
that and other features.

Now if I can find an offline mail reader that will let me see binary
attachments inline... I tried the latest version of Pam and it won't
work that way, in fact, from a list of headers, I had no idea what ones
had an attachment and what didn't. Due to my interest in graphics, I
like to hang out in the Jasc user forum and also in other groups where
images, tubes, scripts, etc. are passed around (I'm careful :) and being
on dialup, offline reading is preferred. Right now, I'm going back to
KNode but that's online reading only. :(

Suggestions for a good newsreader is also appreciated. :)

> The kde lists do whats called "address munging". The list automatically
> inserts a Reply To: header set to the mailing list address. Linuxchix lists
> dont do that. If you want to know why, have a look here:
> http://www.linuxchix.org/content/docs/faqs/policy.html#id2800866

I'll take your word for it. :) I noticed KDE and LinuxChix also use the
'mailman' thing (which my distro comes with). How easy is that to set up
and can it be set up on any hosting service that does
cgi/perl/mysql/php? (I'm thinking of buying some hosting maybe
sometime).

Well, now that I'm in Evolution, I know to right click and Reply to
List. MUCH easier to remember. :)

Thanks for the help anyway...

TechChiq
http://members.fortunecity.com/techchiq/
Paint Shop Pro 8/Wine, Linux, Digital Art, Photography, Web Site Design
Linux User # 331707, Machine # 216034 (http://counter.li.org)