[Techtalk] help! what kind of hack is this?

Maria Blackmore mariab at cats.meow.at
Mon May 26 01:59:16 EST 2003

On Sun, 25 May 2003, Carla Schroder wrote:

> I keep getting these odd messages in my inbox- there are absolutely no forms
> on bratgrrl.com, and I certainly wouldn't use the notoriously insecure Matt
> Wright's scripts anyway. Anyone know what this means?

Presumably, it means that the machine that is hosting you website has the
formmail script installed.

Indeed the line

Would suggest this, as would this line

It would appear that your webhost is trying to be "helpful"

$ telnet bratgrrl.com 80
Trying 216.46.203.144...
Connected to bratgrrl.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET /cgi-bin/formmail.pl HTTP/1.0
Host: bratgrrl.com

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 00:52:06 GMT

Indeed, formmail.pl is one of the most requested addon services for web
hosting, where I work.  So much so that we insist on customers using our
own version with extra safeguards, instead of installing their own (and
slapping the wrists of those that do install their own :)

Maria