[Techtalk] re: using bash commands in perl scripts

Berenice showercurtain2000 at yahoo.com
Mon May 26 01:41:58 EST 2003

On Sunday 25 May 2003 13:11, Rasjid Wilcox wrote:
> I'm really not sure what you are asking here.  In all three cases
> /bin/ls is run as a child process.

The reason I was asking about the child process thingy was because of
the way the system function was explained in the O'Reilly's "Learning
Perl" book. It says "The simplest way to launch a child process in
Perl to run a program is the system function."  And my first reaction
to that was: Huh? What's a child process and why would I want to
launch one? :P  Without realising the examples you showed are also
child processes.

As for that funny message "Too late for "-T" option..."  I saved your
script into a file called rasjid :) and ran it by typing "perl
rasjid" at the command prompt.

Berenice