Making room for more partitions, was: Re: [Techtalk] RH9: pah. Gentoo?

EevaJärvinen eeva.jarvinen1 at luukku.com
Wed Jun 25 23:11:07 EST 2003

On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 11:45:06AM -0700, Conni wrote:

> (BTB, I really hope I don't have to reformat my laptop, because there's
> currently no connectivity and I can't get anything off.)

I came up with an idea.  (I'm going to bed; the idea just popped into
my head)  So this is not like an ideal explanation, but I hope you can
get the gist of it:

Requirements: enough free disk space for a, say 3GB partition.

Idea:

1) use resize2fs to reduce the root filesystem's size so it is 3GB (or
more) smaller than your hd.  You have to do this from a rescue disk,
because AFAIK you can't resize a `live' partition.  Ditto for step 2.

2) use fdisk to reduce the size of your root partition to this new
size.

3) create a new, empty partition into the new empty space; install
the os of your choice into that.

4) remove all unnecessary stuff from the old root partition, likely
everything but /home, leave /etc hanging for a while, too.  (but do
NOT just copy configuration files over from older versions, you may
get strange, hard-to-debug problems)

I've heard that Knoppix can boot most anything, you might want to try
that for rescuing.

Off to sleep, for now. HTH.

Eeva

--
...women are not obedient, chaste, scented, and exquisitely apparelled by
nature.  They can only attain these graces, without which they may enjoy

                                                  V. Woolf, Orlando