Making room for more partitions, was: Re: [Techtalk] RH9: pah. Gentoo?

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Thu Jun 26 15:01:24 EST 2003

Eeva writes:
> I've heard that Knoppix can boot most anything, you might want to try
> that for rescuing.

Even Knoppix can't boot a Vaio CD, at least not without the magic
incantation.  I posted earlier about the magic Vaio CD incantation,
but now I"m wondering if my posting made it to the list, since Conni
never reported on whether it helped.  In any case, the incantation is to
add "ide2=0x180,0x386" to the boot line.  This fixes the "loses track of
CD as soon as PCMCIA loads" problem, at least in many installers and at
least for the several-year-old Vaio CDROM I have.  YMMV.

Redhat up through 8.0 did this automatically.  What a bummer that they
removed their Vaio CD support in Redhat 9!  I wonder why?

	...Akkana