[Techtalk] RH9 upgrade problem

EevaJärvinen eeva.jarvinen1 at luukku.com
Mon Jun 23 20:53:43 EST 2003

On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 09:51:39AM -0700, Conni wrote:
> > md5sum the cds; compare results with md5sums on RH's site.
>
> How do I do that?

Oops.  Error on my part.  You have to md5sum the .iso files used to
make the cds.  `md5sum whatever.iso' should give a longish code of
numbers and letters; the code should equal that on RH's site.  But if
your cds passed the linux mediacheck (it should say roughly "It is safe to
install from this cd"), the cds do pass md5summing.

Have you tried to `noprobe' boot option?  It won't probe for hardware
at all, so it might need a lot of coaching on your part to get
everything working right...

Laptops can be really bothersome to get to work.  I spent a day
figuring out a Toshiba Libretto that had an external pcmcia cd-rom.
The bu**er wouldn't boot from the cd, until the pcmcia bus was set
from bios to 'PCIC'; whatever that means.  Do play with the bios
settings concerning pcmcia; that might help.  (And don't forget to
write down the settings BEFORE you change anything)

Eeva

--
...women are not obedient, chaste, scented, and exquisitely apparelled by
nature.  They can only attain these graces, without which they may enjoy

                                                  V. Woolf, Orlando