[Techtalk] RH9 upgrade problem

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Mon Jun 23 16:44:38 EST 2003

On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 08:13:01AM -0700 or thereabouts, Conni wrote:
> I finally decided to upgrade from RH7.2 to 9, so I downloaded the ISOs
[snip]
> I've got a tiny little VAIO, an SR77.  The only external drive it has is a
> PCM-CIA CD-ROM.  (There are other drives for it, but I don't have any.)
> So, I plug the drive in, insert CD 1, and reboot.  The CD-ROM boots, and
> it loads the installation program.  Then there's the problem: when it asks
> where the installation files are located, I tell it CD-ROM, and it says
> "Cannot find any device.  Please choose a driver."  So I pick a driver
> that's PCM-CIA, and it fails again.  Pick another; another failure.
> Lather, rinse, repeat, reboot to try again.  Fail again.

Hah. The amazing vanishing CD-ROM. Sounds familiar. I have a Vaio too :)
(Not the same model, but the same problem.)

When it gives you the choice between "hit return for graphical
install, type 'linux text' for text install, type..." etc, tell it

linux nopcmcia pci=off

This stops the installer from "trying to guess things and getting
it wrong, apparently".

I swear I have seen this in RH's bugzilla (I've filed it at least
once myself!) but my bugzilla-fu has deserted me.

Telsa