[Techtalk] RH9 upgrade problem

Conni ccovingt at one-eyed-alien.net
Mon Jun 23 08:13:01 EST 2003

Hey, all.

I finally decided to upgrade from RH7.2 to 9, so I downloaded the ISOs
from ibiblio and burned them to CD (on the husband's iMac.)  This is where
the problem starts.

I've got a tiny little VAIO, an SR77.  The only external drive it has is a
PCM-CIA CD-ROM.  (There are other drives for it, but I don't have any.)
So, I plug the drive in, insert CD 1, and reboot.  The CD-ROM boots, and
it loads the installation program.  Then there's the problem: when it asks
where the installation files are located, I tell it CD-ROM, and it says
"Cannot find any device.  Please choose a driver."  So I pick a driver
that's PCM-CIA, and it fails again.  Pick another; another failure.
Lather, rinse, repeat, reboot to try again.  Fail again.

Boot into existing setup, check lsmod to find out what it might be using
as the driver.  Don't get much success.  Notice 'usb-storage' is one of
the modules running, decide to try that as the driver (it's one of the
options.)  Try it.  It takes half a minute to decide 'no, that's not one I
like, either.'

Argh.  Boot into existing setup.  Email people with more clue than I.

lsmod gives me these modules:
Module                  Size  Used by
ide-cs                  3584   1
i810_audio             14528   0  (autoclean)
ac97_codec              8832   0  (autoclean) [i810_audio]
soundcore               4452   2  (autoclean) [i810_audio]
agpgart                27584   4  (autoclean)
lp                      6368   0  (autoclean)
parport                25600   0  (autoclean) [lp]
ds                      7040   2  [ide-cs]
yenta_socket            9504   2
pcmcia_core            41600   0  [ide-cs ds yenta_socket]
autofs                 11492   0  (autoclean) (unused)
eepro100               17648   1
appletalk              20908   0  (autoclean)
ipx                    16436   0  (autoclean)
ipchains               39176   0
vfat                    9560   0  (autoclean)
fat                    32376   0  (autoclean) [vfat]
usb-uhci               21540   0  (unused)
usbcore                51712   1  [usb-uhci]
ext3                   64624   2
jbd                    40992   2  [ext3]

Some of them are pretty obviously not related.  (And I'm still having
sonypi issues, which I never worked out from last August.  I'm hoping the
upgrade will help solve them.)

~C

--
		  www2.one-eyed-alien.net/~ccovingt