[Techtalk] Networking linux and WinXP Home

Hamster hamster at hamsternet.org
Fri Jun 20 02:18:36 EST 2003

Hi,

>           -> eth0 -> dsl modem -> internet
> Gateway ->
> 	  -> eth1 -> hub
> 		   /
> Desktop ->   eth0 (to hub)
>

> iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -s 10.0.0.0/8 -j MASQUERADE

This is fine, dont change anything here.

> 2.) What is the trick for getting XP to network with linux? I have to
> admit, the point and click interfaces confuse me. I probably wouldn't be

You will need to give your sister an IP address in the 10.0.0.0/8 range.
Make sure the IP is different to the IP assigned your gateway and your
desktop. But make sure the subnet mask is the same.

You will need to tell windows the following:

1. An IP
2. A subnet mask
3. The IP of the default gateway, which is the IP of your gateway machine.
4. The names of your ISP's DNS servers.

If you reply and include the IP addresses youre currently using on your
network I can write back and tell you pretty much exactly what to tell
windows if you want.

Hamster