[Techtalk] Networking linux and WinXP Home

Erinn erinn at double-helix.org
Thu Jun 19 19:27:54 EST 2003

Hi everyone,

I currently have a very small NAT setup. It consists of my desktop
computer, a hub, a DSL modem, and a firewall/gateway. I use Debian on
both machines. This is the setup represented in ASCII :)

          -> eth0 -> dsl modem -> internet

Gateway ->

	  -> eth1 -> hub
		   /
Desktop ->   eth0 (to hub)

Now, onto the issue:

My sister is coming home from school this weekend and I want to setup
her computer so that it also masquerades through the firewall. I have no
real experience with networking besides what I have listed above, so I'm
not really sure what to do. Previously I'd tried to get Windows XP to
use the IP masquerading but I never got it to work so I'm a little
nervous. My questions are:

1.) What portions, if any, do I need to change for the firewall? I'm
using static IP's, so do I need to assign one to her computer?
Currently, the masquerading rule I have for iptables is:

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -s 10.0.0.0/8 -j MASQUERADE

2.) What is the trick for getting XP to network with linux? I have to
admit, the point and click interfaces confuse me. I probably wouldn't be
asking this question if Windows networking wasn't such a foreign land.
Why can't you just edit files there like you do with linux! Ugh! Does
anyone have any specific information regarding Windows through linux? I
can probably get her to use linux later but for right now, just getting
XP up and running online would be great.

If any of this has been confusing, please ask for clarification. Thanks
in advance for any help you can provide!

Erinn

--
No lake so still but that it has its wave; No circle so perfect but that
it has a blur. I would change things for you if I could; As I can't, you