[Techtalk] Webmail software

Brenda Bell k15a-list-linuxchix at theotherbell.com
Sat Jun 14 10:05:48 EST 2003

Quoting Mary <mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org>:

> I'm trying to provide webmail for some users. I want to install a
> webmail system that:
>
>  - allows users to check their IMAP mail boxes, supports folders
>
>  - allows them to compose and send mail

I switched from SquirrelMail to Horde.  It wasn't the easiest web mail to
install, but I think that's mostly driven by the modular architecture and
the level of functionality you get.  It does support a MySQL backend with
any database user you want.  It doesn't require root privilege per se, but
you do need to have some level of control over ownership:  all of the files
are owned by the web server and you'll need to be able to edit them to
tweak the configuration.

As for the various Horde modules, I've been running IMP, Kronolith, Mnemo,
Nag and Turba for about 6 or 7 months and I'm pretty happy with it.

You'll find more info at http://www.horde.org

--
Brenda
http://opensource.theotherbell.com