[Techtalk] Webmail software

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Sat Jun 14 19:23:19 EST 2003

Hi,

I'm trying to provide webmail for some users. I want to install a
webmail system that:

 - allows users to check their IMAP mail boxes, supports folders

 - allows them to compose and send mail

It also *must not* require root privileges to install the program, since
I do not have root on this machine, and if it uses a database, it must
be MySQL and I must be able to specify the user name, password and DB
name because I can't choose arbitary ones[1]. It can however be in any
reasonably common UNIX "scripting" language (Perl, PHP, Python...)

(Incidently, it's stunning how many INSTALL files start with "and now
type su - and put in your root password" or "now reinstall PHP" or
"create a database with name BLAH" these days.)

I'm currently using Squirrelmail. I can't install IMP (unfortunately),
because PHP on this system is not compiled with get-text support.
However Squirrelmail seems to have problems with timing people's logins
out while they compose mail, and also has trouble with IE users
authenticating.

Does anyone know of any webmail software (other than IMP) that is better
than Squirrelmail?

-Mary

[1] Bandwidth in Australia is expensive, I host in the US, I'm not
willing to change hosting providers over this, so please accept my
restrictions rather than recommending a different host and/or database
software :)