[Techtalk] Trying to patch the kernel...

Emma Jane Hogbin emmajane at xtrinsic.com
Wed Jun 4 12:53:52 EST 2003

On Sat, May 31, 2003 at 07:59:17PM +0200, Sara wrote:
> I tryiing to apply an ACPI pacth to my kernel, but I not going too far :(."
> I've been reading some doc (including the linuxchix course on kernel hacking)
> but ...

I'm working on a HOWTO for exactly this problem. All of the advice you've
gotten is exactly right.

Here are a few other suggestions as well:

www.kernel.org go to the "lastest stable version of the Linux..." and
click on "F" for that line. The "F" means "Full".

Get the patches for ACPI from here: acpi.sourceforge.net. You need to make
sure your package EXACTLY matches the kernel you're downloading. If you're
using the 2.4.20 kernel then you need this package:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/acpi/acpi-20021212-2.4.20.diff.gz?download

Then patch the kernel according to:
http://acpi.sourceforge.net/download.html
cd <path to unpacked linux sources>
gunzip -c <path to acpi-patch>/acpi-<version>.diff.gz | patch -p1

for me that looks like this:
	cd /usr/src/linux-2.4.20
	gunzip -c acpi-20021212-2.4.20.diff.gz | patch -p1

Watch the output to make sure there are no errors.

Now instead of using make menuconfig. I have a godsend of an option. Check
this out: copy your current .config file into the /usr/src/linux-2.4.20
now use "make oldconfig". It will run through your old config file and see
what's been updated so that you don't have to find all the new options.
For *everything* to do with ACPI (about the first 5 questions for me) say
"M" for module. There are an extra 3 or so things after that which I said
"no" to.

Now go in to the config file with make menuconfig. I want you do check and
make sure you have your APM (the old stuff) turned off. Under "General
Support", make sure that:
	Power Management Support is ON
	APM (advanced power management) is OFF (this is the old one -- you
	don't even want it as a module)
	everything to do with ACPI should be M (on as modules)
exit and save the new configuration

Once you've done all that, compile the kernel as usual.

g'luck!

emma :)

--
Emma Jane Hogbin