[Techtalk] Learning distro: Gentoo or Linux From Scratch

Caitlyn Martin caitlynmaire at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 7 19:54:56 EST 2003

Hi, Conni, and everyone else,

The Toshiba Libretto SlimShock series (SS1000 and SS1010) are also an
incredible pain to get going, but once I did it was well worth it.  I
was incredibly stubborn and got Red Hat onto one of my Libretto 1010s.
I wanted to stick with Red Hat because that's what I have to support at
work.  Otherwise I'd likely be running Vector Linux on this box.  I am
very tempted to try Linux from Scratch on the other one.

Anyway, I really can't help since I don't have a Vaio, but I wanted to
encourage you and anyone else in the same situation to stick with it.
The end results can be worth it.

Oh, and yeah, I'm going to document what I did on a web page and submit
it to Linux-on-Laptops.  Maybe I can save someone else some grief.

Is it me, or is RH9 really buggy?  8.0 was remarkably good for a .0
release, or for any release for that matter.  6.0 was good too.  5.0,
7.0, and 9 were all problematic.  Wonder if the odd numbers have
anything to do with the odd problems... :)

All the best,
Caity