[Techtalk] firewire

kim dang kim_dang1 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 8 00:02:09 EST 2003

Hi all,

Background:
The Toshiba Satellite 1905-S301 comes with a "4-pin"
firewire port. I want to connect an external Firewire
hard drive to it for back-ups. I would prefer not to
get a hard-drive where I also need to carry an
external power supply.

All of the Firewire hard drives that have an INTERNAL
power supply come with the 6-pin port.
Is there any way I can use a firewire hard drive with
some type of adaptor from the 6-pin to 4-pin on the
laptop and still have it powered by my computer and
not an external power adaptor?

Option II:
Also, one option I was thinking was buying a firewire
PC card - so i wouldnt need to carry the external
power pack for the firewire HDD - what do people think
of that?

Other Back-up Options?
I am looking for Very light weight here since the
laptop already weighs a lot. Any other back-up options
appreciated too. It will be used a lot for travel
overseas so I can't hook up to a network and CD's are
getting tedious.

best,
kim