[Techtalk] Same old question -- which distro?

Michelle Murrain tech at murrain.net
Thu Jan 30 01:33:49 EST 2003

At 11:35 PM -0500 1/29/03, Brenda Bell wrote:
>I biggest concern is probably server software:  Apache, php, qmail,
>courier-imap, SquirrelMail, OpenLDAP and MySQL.  Again, no weird
>stuff.

I've used all of these save qmail (haven't tried it) with no problems
on debian. The one issue that a lot of people have with Debian is
that they are so out of date - the packages in the stable
distribution are way behind what's current. I solve this by either
using the testing distro, which can be risky, or by compiling from
source, which does eliminate the ease of upgrade.

(then again, this is someone who still isn't using Apache 2.0, so it
doesn't bother me as much as it bothers some)
--
.Michelle

Michelle Murrain, Technology Consulting
tech at murrain.net     http://www.murrain.net
413-253-2874 ph
413-222-6350 cell
413-825-0288 fax
AIM:pearlbear0 Y!:pearlbear9 ICQ:129250575

"A vocation is where the world's hunger & your great gladness meet."
Frederick Buechner