[Techtalk] Same old question -- which distro?

Jenn Vesperman jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au
Thu Jan 30 19:49:39 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-01-30 at 16:33, Michelle Murrain wrote:
> The one issue that a lot of people have with Debian is
> that they are so out of date - the packages in the stable
> distribution are way behind what's current. I solve this by either
> using the testing distro, which can be risky, or by compiling from
> source, which does eliminate the ease of upgrade.
>
> (then again, this is someone who still isn't using Apache 2.0, so it
> doesn't bother me as much as it bothers some)

Even that is a matter of 'what are you using the distro for?'.
Some people need rock-solid-tested-for-years stable. That's what
Debian's 'stable' means.
If 'been-through-beta-testing' is fine for you, use Debian's testing
distro. Think of yourself as a gamma tester. :)

Jenn V.
 My book 'Essential CVS' will be published by O'Reilly in 2003.
jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au     http://anthill.echidna.id.au/~jenn/