[Techtalk] Same old question -- which distro?

Brenda Bell k15a-list-linuxchix at theotherbell.com
Thu Jan 30 00:35:12 EST 2003

Michelle Murrain wrote:
> At 8:37 PM -0500 1/29/03, Brenda Bell wrote:
>
> However, if you've got
> some unusual things, you really do need to know exactly what the drivers
> are that are needed, because Debian isn't always so great at
> auto-discovery.

I suppose I should have included this info in my original post.  I have
standard (e.g., commonly used) ***everything***.  Intel MOBO with
integrated Ether 100 Pro and ATI Rage 128.  No weird stuff.

I biggest concern is probably server software:  Apache, php, qmail,
courier-imap, SquirrelMail, OpenLDAP and MySQL.  Again, no weird stuff.

> I think the truth about Linux distros at this point in time is that it
> really all is about personal preference

This is one of my problems... I'm curious about Debian, but it sounds so
  different from what I'm used to.

> If you are
> familiar with Mandrake, but worried about their future, Red Hat is an
> easy shift, because they are so similar.

Exactly the sort of feedback I was looking for.  Thanks.

--
Cheers,
     Brenda

http://opensource.theotherbell.com