[Techtalk] wireless woes

Emma Jane Hogbin emmajane at xtrinsic.com
Mon Jan 20 21:17:34 EST 2003

<whine>
My wireless card isn't working properly. I can pick up the signal from the
router but I can't actually connect to it (or to the web). I've been
working under Windows 2000 (dual boot with debian) and have changed the
router three times--same problem each time. I've spent upwards of 30 hours
trying to fix the problem and updwards of 10 hours with different tech
support folks.

The card is orinoco, but is no longer supported by the company because the
company was bought out and sold the support license (?) back to Acer
(manufacturer for the lap top). Acer tech support sucks more than anything
I can say (they refuse to boot up a windows 2000 machine and think they
can provide support from their windows XP machine, etc). I've also spent
several hours on the phone with D-Link (original router) and Linksys (new
router). In fact I spent an hour on hold today with Linksys and ended up
calling back on their non-toll free line (three time zones away).

Basically I have to ship the laptop in to their tech support center. Here's the
great part though: I have to sign a waiver allowing Acer to reformat my
harddrive. Buh-bye to nearly two months worth of work trying to get Debian
installed. :( I'm really not pleased about the whole thing. :(

emma
</whine>

--
Emma Jane Hogbin