[Techtalk] X problems after installing an adaptec 29160 SCSI card (PCI)

Erinn erinn at double-helix.org
Mon Jan 20 15:15:27 EST 2003

> When I access X (i.e. startx) the screen has an awful
> horizontal line pattern. Since I am using Red Hat 8.0
> now, I tried to re-configure X via:
> redhat-config-xfree86. The first message I see is
> "Couldn't start X-server, trying with a fresh
> configuration". About 30 seconds pass & the screen
> freezes with the awful horizontal line pattern I
> mentioned above. Any suggestions?

I had a similar problem with Debian and it turned out that all I needed
to fix was my Horizontal Sync and Vertical Refresh rates. This could be
completely wrong, but check your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file and try to
find your monitors vert/horizontal rates online just to make sure. Other
than that, I have no clue, but probably someone else will have some
other suggestions.

Erinn