[Techtalk] X problems after installing an adaptec 29160 SCSI card (PCI)

Lucky Lady needlesschatter at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 20 17:10:29 EST 2003

Hello again,

Now that printing is working, another problem comes
along. I just installed an Adaptec 29160 SCSI card
(PCI). Prior to this installation X worked fine. Video
card is: SIS 315E 4xAGP (32 MB RAM). Both are listed
as compatable on Red Hat's HCL. Now X does not work.

When I access X (i.e. startx) the screen has an awful
horizontal line pattern. Since I am using Red Hat 8.0
now, I tried to re-configure X via:
redhat-config-xfree86. The first message I see is
"Couldn't start X-server, trying with a fresh
configuration". About 30 seconds pass & the screen
freezes with the awful horizontal line pattern I
mentioned above. Any suggestions?

TIA,

DaLy