[Techtalk] IRC --IM

Meredydd Luff meredydd at everybuddy.com
Wed Jan 15 15:17:58 EST 2003

IRC and instant messaging overlap quite a bit, in fact sufficiently that most
multi-IM clients (Gaim, Trillian and Kopete I think, Everybuddy even though
it's hardly usable on channels) support IRC like any other IM service, and
there's at least one project (bitlbee) going the other way. However, the big
thing IM has and IRC lacks is presence notification. Instant messengers tell
you when someone on your buddy list goes on- or offline. IM clients emulate
this with periodic WHOISes of all your buddy list, but it's somewhat tiresome.

On the other hand, IRC makes up for it by being much better at actual
chatting than many other protocols, and also being completely open and
human-readable. No other IM system AFAIK has /me, or things like CTCP pings,
or such an effective system for channel operators.

In other words, it's a tradeoff. You pays your money (or not, as the case may
be)...

Meredydd