[Techtalk] Tracing Telnet Sessions

Brenda Prigg bprigg at pit.comms.marconi.com
Fri Feb 14 12:51:15 EST 2003

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, Scott Sandeman-Allen (RSCorp) wrote:

> So, now for what is probably a dumb question: How do I make
> telnet and whatever terminal it is emulating, trace/log to a
> file?
>
> I've tried: telnet -d -n out.txt <server> <port>

Did you try using script command, then followed by your telnet command?
Once you are done getting all your debug, you can end the script session
by ^D.

script -a <file_name>
telnet <your options>
<capture debug>
^D

You should a message something like "Script done, file is <file_name>"

You might have control characters to deal with so using "tr" may be in
order on the script file afterwards.

Happy Valentine's Day

Brenda