[Techtalk] Midnight Commander missing

John Clarke johnc+linuxchix at kirriwa.net
Fri Dec 19 13:15:20 EST 2003

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 04:26:08PM -0800, Alice Goodman wrote:

> I installed RH 9 on an older box. The Hard Drive has only 5.3 GB. I

I have a RH9 server in less than 1GB including mc, so you have plenty of
space.

> installed but I still get "command not found" when I type in MC logged

Verify that the mc rpm is installed:

    [johnc at taipan ~]$ rpm -q mc
    mc-4.6.0-4

If it says "package mc is not installed", you need to install it.  You
can find the rpm on one of the three RH9 binary CDs (I don't have them
here so I can't tell you which one), and install it with "rpm -i
mc-4.6.0-4.i386.rpm".  If rpm complains about missing dependencies, you
need to install some other packages.  The dependencies are:

    [johnc at taipan ~]$ rpm -qR mc
    /bin/sh
    /usr/bin/perl
    config(mc) = 1:4.6.0-4
    dev >= 3.3-3
    libICE.so.6
    libSM.so.6
    libX11.so.6
    libc.so.6
    libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0)
    libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1)
    libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2)
    libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3)
    libcom_err.so.2
    libext2fs.so.2
    libglib-2.0.so.0
    libgpm.so.1
    libslang-utf8.so.1
    perl(File::Basename)
    perl(POSIX)
    perl(bytes)
    perl(strict)
    rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1
    rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1
    rpmlib(VersionedDependencies) <= 3.0.3-1

The rpms you need for these are: bash, perl, dev, XFree86-libs, glibc,
e2fsprogs, glib2, gpm, slang and rpm.  Then you'll need anything that
they depend upon (e.g. bash needs libtermcap).  You'll probably already
have most of these installed already, and you can find out if they're
there with:

    [johnc at taipan ~]$ rpm -q bash perl dev XFree86-libs glibc e2fsprogs glib2 gpm slang rpm
    bash-2.05b-20.1
    perl-5.8.0-88.3
    dev-3.3.2-5
    XFree86-libs-4.3.0-2