[Techtalk] glibc upgrade?

John Clarke johnc+linuxchix at kirriwa.net
Thu Dec 18 16:31:11 EST 2003

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 07:12:36 +0000, johnston at pat.biochem.ucl.ac.uk wrote:

> I'm trying to install something in RedHat8 that requires libxml2 and
> libxslt.  I've got .rpms of these, but libxml2 apparently requires
> libpthread.so which is  apparently in glibc2.3.2. Does this mean I have
> to upgrade the whole of glibc?

You shouldn't need to upgrade glibc, but you might need to install an
additional rpm.  The RH8 glibc rpm does include libpthread:

    [johnc at dropbear ~/tmp]$ rpm -qpl glibc-2.2.93-5.i386.rpm|grep libpthread
    /lib/libpthread-0.10.so
    /lib/libpthread.so.0

libpthread-0.10.so is the library that you need to run programs which
were linked with libpthread.  libpthread.so.0 is just a symbolic link
to libpthread-0.10.so.

If all you want to do is run programs which were built elsewhere, this
is all you need.

To build a program which needs libpthread, you also need a file called
libpthread.so, which is simply a symbolic link to libpthread.so.0 [1].
This file is part of the glibc-devel package:

    [johnc at dropbear ~/tmp]$ rpm -qpl glibc-devel-2.2.93-5.i386.rpm |grep libpthread
    /usr/lib/libpthread.a
    /usr/lib/libpthread.so

So, try installing the glibc-devel rpm and see if that solves your
problem.

Cheers,

John

[1] These symbolic links make it easy to install multiple versions of
    libraries without breaking programs which rely on a specific
    version, e.g.:

    [johnc at dropbear ~/tmp]$ ls -l `locate libncurses.so`
    lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           15 Nov 29 17:22 /usr/lib/libncurses.so -> libncurses.so.5
    lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           17 Dec 14 09:12 /usr/lib/libncurses.so.4 -> libncurses.so.4.0
    -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       256184 Jan 30  2002 /usr/lib/libncurses.so.4.0
    lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           17 Nov 29 17:20 /usr/lib/libncurses.so.5 -> libncurses.so.5.2
    -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       290511 Apr  9  2002 /usr/lib/libncurses.so.5.2

    libncurses.so links to the latest version (v5.x), libncurses.so.5
    links to the latest v5 release (v5.2) and libncurses.so.4 links to
    the latest v4 release (v4.0).  I have some programs which need
    libncurses v4 and some which need v5.  All will run without me
    needing to do anything special as long as the libraries are
    installed and the symbolic links point to the right files.

whois !JC774-AU at whois.aunic.net
GPG key id: 0xD59C360F
http://kirriwa.net/john/