[Techtalk] text /resolution in text mode

Mandi mandi at linuxchick.org
Thu Aug 21 11:29:07 EST 2003

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, Amelie C. wrote:

> <snip>
> > When you say text mode, do you mean the console you
> > see when you run a
> > terminal (such as xterm, konsole, gnome-terminal),
> > or do you mean the full
> > screen terminal you get when you press Ctrl-Alt-F1,
> > Ctrl-Alt-F2 etc?
> >

> I meant the full screen terminal with Ctrl-Alt-F1,
> etc.
> I have been searching online but I think I am using
> the wrong keywords...

It's a kernel parameter, vga=<something>.  There is a table of VESA modes
plus some additional info here:
http://www.cantech.net.au/plug/2002-09/msg00715.html

You can also get a limited number of resolutions by appending vga=ask to
your kernel parameters.  You can then choose from a number of options by
pressing enter when the kernel boots.  This is best used if your kernel
doesn't boot framebuffer by itself.  Mandrake, particularly, provides a
non-framebuffer kernel.  if you run vga=ask with their normal kernel, it
resets the res.

you can also try the program resizecons, but i haven't been very
successful with that.

Be careful choosing anything too crazy, particularly on laptops.

This is a VESA-based framebuffer feature, so adding that to your search
might get you more info.

HTH

--mandi