[Techtalk] text /resolution in text mode

Hamster hamster at hamsternet.org
Thu Aug 21 17:09:23 EST 2003

> I meant the full screen terminal with Ctrl-Alt-F1,
> etc.

Ahhh I can help you with that. You need to play around with framebuffer
settings.

OK, the following instructions make a couple of assumptions - first of all,
I am assuming your video card supports framebuffer. Second, I've provided
lilo instructions - I can't remember at which version it was that RH
switched to grub. If it's grub you're using, someone else will have to
tell you how to do the equivalent in grub.

ok.

In /etc/lilo.conf, you need to add a line saying:
vga=791

Then run the command lilo (to make your changes take effect). When you next
reboot, this will give you a screen at 1024x768. If you want an even bigger
resolution, vga=794 gives you 1280x1024. I have a list of resolutions if you
want something different.

If it's going to work, thats all you need to do.

If your vid card doesn't support frame buffer then all is not lost.

Give what I've suggested here a try, if it doesn't work, write back with
details of what you did and the error message(s) it gave.

Hamster