[Techtalk] Drop in replacement for Ingres Database?

L J Laubenheimer ljl at rahul.net
Fri Sep 13 13:41:57 EST 2002

Conor Daly wrote:
> Yeah, I know there isn't one but IIRC, postgresql is based on the ingres
> product.  Does anyone know how similar it is, are there sensible UIs out
> there for it, is it scaleable to something like 8-16Gb of data with a few
> tables >2Gb in size?
>
> I'm in a situation where we're getting gouged by Computer Associates for
> licenses for the next three years and we're thinking about Oracle as a
> replacement for 20% of the cost.  However, it's going to take about 1 year
> to port our applications over to the Oracle setup and I was (probably
> foolishly) thinking we could drop postgresql in as a quick replacement
> given its ancestry...
>
> OTOH, has anyone got anything bad to say about Oracle?  Their website says
> lots of good stuff but I'd like to hear the bad also since _I'm_ probably
> going to have my name associated with the choice of DB at work.

If you thought you were getting gouged by CA for Ingres, don't go near Oracle.
  They nickel and dime you to death.  Their database is a pig to install, a
pain to backup, and requires a lot of specialized stuff.

I believe that PosgreSQL is scalable to large table sizes, although I don't
know about UIs (Kylix? as a front end dev platform?).  I hope this helps...

					Linda
--
Linda J Laubenheimer - UNIX Geek, Sysadmin, Bibliophile and Iconoclast
http://www.modusvarious.com/ - consultants available