[Techtalk] Drop in replacement for Ingres Database?

Michelle Murrain tech at murrain.net
Fri Sep 13 23:31:10 EST 2002

At 1:41 PM -0700 9/13/02, L J Laubenheimer wrote:
>I believe that PosgreSQL is scalable to large table sizes, although
>I don't know about UIs (Kylix? as a front end dev platform?).  I
>hope this helps...

Postgres is supposed to be scalable, although I can't say that for
sure, since I've not implemented a database of nearly that size. I
think it is a fairly kick-ass dbms, and from what I've read on the
postgres lists, there are many folks using it for enterprise-sized
databases. (I still have yet to figure out why MySQL is more
popular...)

Postgres is a bit weak on the UIs, though (nothing like PHPMyAdmin
out there that I've seen, although I've heard tell someone's working
on one - check sourceforge). There is pgaccess - the X front end for
postgres, which isn't bad (haven't used it that much). However, the
text-based monitor, and the various command line tools are actually
quite well done, and make it easy to interface with the database as
an administrator.
--
.Michelle

Michelle Murrain, Technology Consulting
tech at murrain.net     http://www.murrain.net
413-253-2874 ph
413-222-6350 cell
413-825-0288 fax
AIM:pearlbear0 Y!:pearlbear9 ICQ:129250575

"A vocation is where the world's hunger & your great gladness meet."