[Techtalk] Drop in replacement for Ingres Database?

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Thu Sep 12 19:44:10 EST 2002

Yeah, I know there isn't one but IIRC, postgresql is based on the ingres
product.  Does anyone know how similar it is, are there sensible UIs out
there for it, is it scaleable to something like 8-16Gb of data with a few
tables >2Gb in size?

I'm in a situation where we're getting gouged by Computer Associates for
licenses for the next three years and we're thinking about Oracle as a
replacement for 20% of the cost.  However, it's going to take about 1 year
to port our applications over to the Oracle setup and I was (probably
foolishly) thinking we could drop postgresql in as a quick replacement
given its ancestry...

OTOH, has anyone got anything bad to say about Oracle?  Their website says
lots of good stuff but I'd like to hear the bad also since _I'm_ probably
going to have my name associated with the choice of DB at work.

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)