[Techtalk] gnome, nautilus, sawfish & metacity???

Malcolm Tredinnick malcolm at commsecure.com.au
Tue Sep 10 10:16:57 EST 2002

On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 06:27:21PM -0500, Erin Raasch wrote:
> On Monday 09 September 2002 07:00, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> > My main observation, however, is that this looks like the library list
> > for Nautilus for GNOME 2. So your $PATH is set up so that
> > /opt/gnome2/bin/nautilus is found before /opt/gnome/bin/nautilus (if I
> > understand the SuSE install locations correctly). You really need to run
> > 'ldd' on the nautilus for GNOME 1 (so /opt/gnome/bin/nautilus) -- sorry
> > for the confusion about that.
>
> OK - I ran 'ldd' on nautilus for gnome1 - and it appeared that all the
> libraries were gnome1 libs.

OK, so the problem gets harder to solve. I hate it when it's not
something obvious. :(

> > If you really want to get Nautilus working under 1.4 again, try this:
> > remove all references to /opt/gnome2 from your path and library paths
> > (even temporarily edit /etc/ld.so.conf and remove /opt/gnome2/libs if it
> > is in there and then run 'ldconfig' to reinitialise the library cache --
> > but put it back later before you forget).
>
> Now here's the moment I've been dreading - I know that it is sometimes
> necessary to edit your path - but I have no idea where to even start.  I
> tried following some basic instructions that were written in reference to Red
> Hat: open bash_profile in a text editor - but I have no such file.  Can
> someone tell me how this is done in SuSE?
> I have checked out the ld.so.conf file, it is in the expected place and I'm
> prepared to temporarily edit it, but I want to first try editing my path as
> suggested.

I cannot comment on the SuSE specific stuff, but there is a difference
between the thing in ld.so.conf and your path.

The path ($PATH) is where the system searches by default for programs
that it is going to execute. The directories in ld.so.conf (plus those
in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable) are those places where it
looks by default for libraries that it is dynamically linked against.
When 'ldconfig' is run (usually at system startup) it looks in each of
the directories in ld.so.conf and builds a cache of all the library
names and their locations. You can see the contents of this cache with
'/sbin/ldconfig -p' (which you can run as non-root).

I am really starting to wonder if I recommended the correct approach
last night (my time), though. If nautilus is linked against the correct
(GNOME 1) libraries, then it should Just Work(tm) -- and yet, it isn't.

One possibly less intrusive attempt at diagnosing the problem is to try
copying your .gnome and .gnome2 directories to one side and then
starting GNOME 1 and seeing if Nautilus starts up properly (and
repeatedly).

Malcolm