[Techtalk] gnome, nautilus, sawfish & metacity???

Erin Raasch eraasch at chorus.net
Mon Sep 9 18:27:21 EST 2002

On Monday 09 September 2002 07:00, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:

> My main observation, however, is that this looks like the library list
> for Nautilus for GNOME 2. So your $PATH is set up so that
> /opt/gnome2/bin/nautilus is found before /opt/gnome/bin/nautilus (if I
> understand the SuSE install locations correctly). You really need to run
> 'ldd' on the nautilus for GNOME 1 (so /opt/gnome/bin/nautilus) -- sorry
> for the confusion about that.

OK - I ran 'ldd' on nautilus for gnome1 - and it appeared that all the
libraries were gnome1 libs.

> If you really want to get Nautilus working under 1.4 again, try this:
> remove all references to /opt/gnome2 from your path and library paths
> (even temporarily edit /etc/ld.so.conf and remove /opt/gnome2/libs if it
> is in there and then run 'ldconfig' to reinitialise the library cache --
> but put it back later before you forget).

Now here's the moment I've been dreading - I know that it is sometimes
necessary to edit your path - but I have no idea where to even start.  I
tried following some basic instructions that were written in reference to Red
Hat: open bash_profile in a text editor - but I have no such file.  Can
someone tell me how this is done in SuSE?
I have checked out the ld.so.conf file, it is in the expected place and I'm
prepared to temporarily edit it, but I want to first try editing my path as
suggested.

Thanks,

Erin