[Techtalk] Learning Perl

cgay at donslothower.com cgay at donslothower.com
Mon Sep 9 09:19:08 EST 2002

On 8 Sep 2002 at 15:46, Raquel Rice wrote:

> On 08 Sep 2002 15:21:50 -0700
> Malke Routh <malke at attbi.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
> >
> > Of course I've been to perl.com, perl mongers, and The Monastery
> > looking around. Anyway, I thought I'd ask for your ideas,
> > resources (online course simple enough for a programming newbie?),
> > etc.  I'll probably check local adult education courses, but
> > between running my little business and taking care of my kids, I
> > don't have a whole lot of time. Self-study is often harder, but
> > you don't have to worry about fitting into someone else's schedule
> > and you can do it in your pajamas.

I"d have to suggest the Perl Cookbook too.  It actually shows
useful code in it.  I'm not sure buying the camel book is as useful
for a new person. I didn't find it very useful til I got resonable good
at programming.    Best bet is to write scripts to do those
annoying things.  Say writing a simple menu to run the command
line cd burner program or something.

chris