[Techtalk] Gnome 2: menu editor?

Meredydd Luff meredydd at everybuddy.com
Thu Sep 5 14:33:19 EST 2002

On Thursday 05 September 2002 11:57, Telsa Gwynne wrote:
> On Thu Sep 05, 2002 at 10:23:01AM +0100 or thereabouts, Meredydd Luff wrote:
> > Or EB...
>
> Everybuddy?
Yep. That said, actually, we're rewriting it with detachable front ends, and
I don't know too much about the GTK one, so we could well be using GTK2. I
tend to use the raw-command-line one te debug the core.

> Oooh. Gtk-2 itself, or everybuddy on gtk-2? If gtk, please file
> a bug :) http://bugzilla.gnome.org/ and the gtk 'product'. The
> gtk people use bugzilla copiously to track things.
Nah - EB doesn't use GTK2 (at least, not in release versions - the rewrite's
GTK front-end might), for exactly the same reasons as Gaim's having these
problems. They have completely messed up the API for the tree-list controls
(which, of course, IM programs make heavy use of for contact lists). Gaim
currently works by using the GTK1 control, which is officially unsupported
and can break any time :-/

> As Bex said, you can have gtk-1 and gtk-2 on the same box. Ditto
> for the Gnome libraries. Although you definitely want a very recent
> set of gnome-libs for that. So you can have a Gnome 2 desktop and
> run apps based on gtk or gnome 1.x on it.
Yeah. The panel thing sounds nasty though :-/

> As for running something wanting gtk1 on gtk2, I have no idea.
> I know one gnome app was ported by virtue of an entire two-line
> patch, but it _was_ a very small app :)
Thankfully, it's SEP. Oh, how I love collaborative development...