[Techtalk] Gnome 2: menu editor?

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Thu Sep 5 11:57:43 EST 2002

On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 10:23:01AM +0100 or thereabouts, Meredydd Luff wrote:
> On Thursday 05 September 2002 09:55, Rebecca J. Walter wrote:
> > If you are thinking about missing applications, it is because many
> > haven't been ported yet.  So you need to continue to use your 1.4 apps
> > for a little while yet.  Some applications are waiting for the next
> > stable release to begin porting (like Evolution).
>
> Or EB...

Everybuddy?

> > Others are available
> > for GNOME2 from CVS or in beta versions (I haven't tried getting any
> > that way yet, but I think someone told me I could get GAIM for GNOME2
> > out of CVS).
>
> Yes, you can, but it's officially broken, topic on #gaim on openprojects
> for quite a while was "GTK2 is broken, stop whining" or some such :-)

Oooh. Gtk-2 itself, or everybuddy on gtk-2? If gtk, please file
a bug :) http://bugzilla.gnome.org/ and the gtk 'product'. The
gtk people use bugzilla copiously to track things.

> I'm afraid I'm not much of a GNOME-head...how nicely do GTK1 apps play
> with Gnome 2?

As Bex said, you can have gtk-1 and gtk-2 on the same box. Ditto
for the Gnome libraries. Although you definitely want a very recent
set of gnome-libs for that. So you can have a Gnome 2 desktop and
run apps based on gtk or gnome 1.x on it.

As for running something wanting gtk1 on gtk2, I have no idea.
I know one gnome app was ported by virtue of an entire two-line
patch, but it _was_ a very small app :)

There is a porting guide for app developers which lives at
http://developer.gnome.org/dotplan/porting/ and which has a
section about gtk (along with glib and pango). It is the most
popular page in the entire dotplan section (which is Gnome 2
stuff).

Telsa