info (was Re: [Techtalk] List help)

Malcolm Tredinnick malcolm at commsecure.com.au
Thu Sep 5 11:05:18 EST 2002

On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 09:28:24AM -0400, Malcolm-Rannirl wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 September 2002 06:17 am, Kathryn Andersen wrote:
>
> > I dislike "info" also, because I find it so hard to navigate the darn
> > thing.  Enter "pinfo" which is an "info" reader which has a lynx-like
> > interface, and I find it much easier to use than bare info.
>
> For those running KDE, you can put "info:<command>" into konqueror and it
> displays them as it would webpages. ("man:<command>" or simply "#<command>"
> does the same thing for man pages).

Similarly, for GNOME users, you can do the same thing in Galeon
(info:gcc and man:bash, etc). Note that if you would normally do 'man 2
read' at the command line (since 'man read' gives you the bash builtins
page and you want the system call), then you type 'man:read.2'.

Also, GNOME 2 users can use Yelp to browse man and info pages, since
they are included in the table of contents.

So hopefully there will now be no more whinging about interfaces to info
(I agree that the default one is a bit dated now, but the info pages
themselves are usually _very_ informative).

Cheers,
Malcolm