info (was Re: [Techtalk] List help)

iriXx iriXx at iriXx.org
Thu Sep 5 09:39:14 EST 2002

On Thu, 2002-09-05 at 02:05, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 09:28:24AM -0400, Malcolm-Rannirl wrote:
> > On Wednesday 04 September 2002 06:17 am, Kathryn Andersen wrote:
> >
> > > I dislike "info" also, because I find it so hard to navigate the darn
> > > thing.  Enter "pinfo" which is an "info" reader which has a lynx-like
> > > interface, and I find it much easier to use than bare info.
> >
> > For those running KDE, you can put "info:<command>" into konqueror and it
> > displays them as it would webpages. ("man:<command>" or simply "#<command>"
> > does the same thing for man pages).
>
> Similarly, for GNOME users, you can do the same thing in Galeon
> (info:gcc and man:bash, etc). Note that if you would normally do 'man 2
> read' at the command line (since 'man read' gives you the bash builtins
> page and you want the system call), then you type 'man:read.2'.
>
> Also, GNOME 2 users can use Yelp to browse man and info pages, since
> they are included in the table of contents.
>
> So hopefully there will now be no more whinging about interfaces to info
> (I agree that the default one is a bit dated now, but the info pages
> themselves are usually _very_ informative).

wow... thanks folks.....

believe it or not i have never read the info pages because of their
cryptic interface!... i avoid the man pages if i have to as well, mainly
because reading in a terminal window isnt exactly the easiest thing when
most of the stuff you want to do that uses man pages is in a terminal
window (ok, open two terminals.... yeah, i'm whinging ;-)

bw
iriXx
www.iriXx.org

copyleft: creativity, technology and freedom?
info at copyleftmedia.org.uk
www.copyleftmedia.org.uk

 _
( )  ascii ribbon against html email
/ \    cat /dev/sda1 > /dev/dsp

 "Feel free to step up to the plate, but before you do, don't throw
rocks in glass houses..."
	- Linus Torvalds