[Techtalk] Gnome 2: menu editor?

Erin Raasch eraasch at chorus.net
Wed Sep 4 18:22:06 EST 2002

On Wednesday 04 September 2002 01:48, Caitlyn M. Martin wrote:
> Hi, everyone,
>
> I've been playing with Gnome 2 on Red Hat Linux 7.3.94 (null), the beta
> of the new version, for the last week or so.  The new Gnome is really
> nice and not nearly so resource hungry as KDE.  The new beta is
> remarkably ready for prime time.  One little thing...
>
> Where's the menu editor for Gnome 2?  I can't find the stupid thing.
>
> Thanks,
> Caity

I have had serious menu issues since I installed Gnome2 about a week ago -
namely, the menu was very limited, and though it contained entries for my Kde
and Suse menus, they were both empty.  I've been playing around trying to
figure out how to import these menus into gnome2.

Well, my playing around finally paid off!  I found that if I right-click on
the top panel, I can add a menu - then if I right-click on the menu icon that
is placed there, I can configure the new menu I have just added.  There are
options for type of menu, menu path, and custom icon.

I was able to add a Kde menu and the gnome 1.4 menu and add the matching icons
to the panel.  The icons in the Kde menu itself, though, are all the default
gray-green open-file-folder icon, so now I need to figure out how to change
those.

I also haven't found the path to the Suse menu, but I'd like to add that one
as well . . . but I can't complain, I've made a great deal of progress!

So I haven't answered your question precisely - the default menu still just
sits there unchanged - but it's something.

Erin