[Techtalk] setting dhcp after installing/old hub

Maria Blackmore mariab at cats.meow.at
Wed Oct 30 10:48:13 EST 2002

Hi

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Kathryn Hargreaves wrote:
> I'm running RH 7.2 and need to set up eth0 to use DHCP.  It didn't get
> done at installation probably because the Ethernet card wasn't detected
> properly (and I had to install the correct driver afterwards).  How do I
> do it now?  All the HOW-TOs seem to be out of date.

I can't help with this, I'm afraid, though I can suggest that installing
"pump" would be a good way forward.  :)

> Another problem, more generic: I have an old hub (Asante 10T HUB) on
> which port 12 has an IN/OUT switch.  I'm trying to connect it to a
> gateway (2Wire's HomePortal 1000S).  I assume I connect the gateway to
> the hub with this port.  (Using any other random port doesn't work.)
> I've tried the switch in both positions, I've tried both crossover and
> straighthrough cables.  I actually have *two* of these hubs and have
> tried them both.  Any clues?

The switch on port 12 is to control whether that port is crossed over
internally or not, it's meant to be an uplink port.  It's so that you can
link hubs together without needing to carry seperate crossover cables.
The gateway itself doesn't sound familiar, but it should work in any of
the ports, it may need either type of cable for this though.

In general, on a hub, all the ports are the same, there is nothing special
about any of them, a packet going in any one will come out all the
others.  The only exception to this is port 12, which will have a dpdt
switch to swap over the rx/tx pairs if needed.

What happens if you try to connect the gateway directly to a machine,
using either type of cable?  Has the gateway ever worked correctly? If it
did, under what circumstances did it?  Do you get a link light if you
connect port 12 on the two hubs together with a straight through cable,
and then set the switch at one end to "in" and the other end to "out",
likewise if you use a crossover cable, and leave both switches set to
either both "in" or both "out"?

Good luck :)

Maria
--