[Techtalk] RH8--no gcc??

Mandi mandi at linuxchick.org
Sat Oct 19 17:59:55 EST 2002

On Sat, 19 Oct 2002, lain iwakura wrote:

> Hey everyone,
> I recently installed RedHat 8.0 on my laptop and was about to install the
> driver for my Synaptics touchpad.  I ran a configure script before the
> installation and received the following messages:
>
> gcc--not found
> cc--not found
>
> [misc error messages here]

Which install did you choose?  gcc is not always installed with all
installation choices.  I believe they leave it out if you don't choose
"development" or "everything" on a custom install.  I think they leave it
out of the server install as well, which is just good security practice.
(ie, you don't want a cracker compiling rogue stuff if they get in your
server...)

> I'm a little confused--the last two RH I've installed, gnu gcc always
> came with the distro.  This is the first time I received this kind of
> error when attempting to install.  I did 'which' and 'whereis' gcc but no
> luck.  Is this a default for RH 8 (if it is, that stinks) that I have to
> go to GNU and install, or maybe they changed the default path?

"up2date gcc" should get you what you need.  I don't know what all the
package names are anymore; it should pull in what it needs.

If you are looking for a specific program or file, you can sometimes do

"up2date --whatprovides <filename>" to see the packages that have that
file.  there are some oddities in doing that, though, like that for
executables and configuration files it will want the entire pathname.

> Also, what is cc?

cc is what the c compiler is known as on commercial systems that don't use
gcc, i believe...

hope that helps get you going!

--mandi