[Techtalk] RH8--no gcc??

lain iwakura eva_00 at juno.com
Sat Oct 19 16:06:43 EST 2002

Hey everyone,
I recently installed RedHat 8.0 on my laptop and was about to install the
driver for my Synaptics touchpad.  I ran a configure script before the
installation and received the following messages:

gcc--not found
cc--not found

[misc error messages here]

I'm a little confused--the last two RH I've installed, gnu gcc always
came with the distro.  This is the first time I received this kind of
error when attempting to install.  I did 'which' and 'whereis' gcc but no
luck.  Is this a default for RH 8 (if it is, that stinks) that I have to
go to GNU and install, or maybe they changed the default path?

Also, what is cc?

Any help will be great--I can't use rpms all the time...  thanks in
advance.

--lain