[Techtalk] Next Topic, Remote Display & Access

Katie Bechtold katie at katie-and-rob.org
Wed Oct 16 12:15:27 EST 2002

On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 12:01:22PM -0400, Beth Johnson wrote:
> I would like to get the server's
> monitor off of my desk, but I haven't a clue how to set up the system so
> I can run it from my desktop.

Now, I may be completely misunderstanding what you want to
accomplish, but it sounds to me like the solution is a KVM switch
(that's for Keyboard-Video-Mouse).  It's a little device that you
connect to your keyboard and mouse outputs and video input.  It's
also connected to each of your computers' keyboard and mouse inputs
and video outputs.  Then with the press of a button, you can switch
between the keyboard, video, and mouse being connected to one
machine to them being connected to the other machine.  I have one (a
LinkSys 2-port ProConnect compact model, ~ US$35 at amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004SB99/cnet-electronics-20/103-7357996-8890214
) and I think it's great.  There's no software involved whatsoever.

--
Katie Bechtold
http://katie-and-rob.org/