[Techtalk] online kiss goodbye

Katie Bechtold katie at katie-and-rob.org
Tue Oct 15 09:51:28 EST 2002

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 02:46:38AM +0000, Alvin Goats wrote:
> The file should be /etc/resolve.conf
> It does sound like a DNS problem. I'd talk to one of my local network
> guys and find a nearby DNS server to use.

Oops, minor typo: it's /etc/resolv.conf.  (How dare you suggest that
an *entire English word* could be found in Unix? :) )

Have you got what you think to be your ISPs DNS servers in that
/etc/resolv.conf file?  If not, the Configuring Your Name Resolver
section of the Net HOWTO has a little overview of /etc/resolv.conf:
	http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Net-HOWTO/x413.html#AEN493

(Ironically enough, though, the HOWTO itself has a typo when it
separates the keyword "nameserver" into "name server," which I'm
pretty sure is wrong.)

--
Katie Bechtold
http://katie-and-rob.org/