[Techtalk] online kiss goodbye

Caitlyn M. Martin cmartin at rateintegration.com
Tue Oct 15 10:01:06 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-10-14 at 18:27, Carlo Hamalainen wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Oct 2002, kansas_kennedy at phreaker.net wrote:
> > Well, I can't seem to do anything online from Linux (RHL 7.3). Dialing from
> > the dial-up configuration wizard on kde3, it says: can't resolve the pages
> > (nor can check mails).
>
> It sounds like you're getting online, but nothing works after that?
>
> First step would be to check if you can ping anything. Find out what your
> mailserver's IP address is (eg. "host mail.my-isp.com") and see if that
> works. It may be just a DNS problem, which can be fixed via some file
> in /etc which I can't remember at all right now.

That would likely be /etc/resolv.conf  DNS servers, search domain,
etc... go in there.  It should look something like:

search mydomain.com
nameserver x.x.x.x (the IP address of your primary DNS server)
nameserver x.x.x.x (the IP address of your secondary DNS server)

Also, check your dialup settings in /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices
You should have a file there called ifcfg-<name of connection>.  For
example, I have ifcfg-Earthlink.  Make sure DEFROUTE=yes is set.  That
way it gets it's default gateway from your ISP.

Regards,
Caity