[Techtalk] Clueless about Ripping & Encoding Audio

Akkana akkana at shallowsky.com
Thu Oct 10 17:19:21 EST 2002

Beth Johnson writes:
> Could you go ahead and send me your whole config?  I pasted in the mp3
> encoding bits from yours and am still getting the same problem.  It
> looks like it's tagging tracks but not actually doing anything with the
> music.  I don't get a drive light on the cdrom while it's supposedly
> ripping (for the 10 seconds the operation takes).  If I turn around to
> my server and use MusicMatch, the operation takes as long to encode as
> it does to play, and I do get a drive light flashing away.
>
> I can play the cd via grip.

Sounds like what grip does here.  I can play the cd, I can tell it
to rip, and it goes ahead and starts reading stuff off the CD -- but
as far as I can tell, it never writes anything to disk anywhere, nor
does it give any error messages.  cdparanoia and various mp3 and ogg
encoders are there in the expected locations -- I've used them manually
and from a perl script someone gave me, they just don't work from grip.
So I'll be interested to hear if anyone ever solves this.  (I'm trying
this from RH 7.3, BTW.)

Oh, another thing I found about all the various ripping/encoding
programs: they really want an IDE CD.  I had /dev/cdrom pointing
to my CD-RW (which is using ide-scsi emulation) and ripping failed
miserably: some programs complained, other programs tried but failed
halfway through the first song.  I pointed /dev/cdrom to the IDE dvd
drive, and now everything except grip works nicely.  I don't know what
one does on a machine that *only* has an ide-scsi writer.

	...Akkana