[Techtalk] Clueless about Ripping & Encoding Audio

Beth Johnson linux.chick at verizon.net
Thu Oct 10 16:23:14 EST 2002

On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 19:51, Mick Timony wrote:

> Perhaps lame or bladeenc is not in your path?

Nope, they're there.  That was what I checked when I originally got
errors about invalid mp3 encoders.

> Here's the edited highlights of my
> ".grip" config file (I don't want to put the whole thing in cause it's
> kinda long if you want a copy e-mail me):

<Snip>

Could you go ahead and send me your whole config?  I pasted in the mp3
encoding bits from yours and am still getting the same problem.  It
looks like it's tagging tracks but not actually doing anything with the
music.  I don't get a drive light on the cdrom while it's supposedly
ripping (for the 10 seconds the operation takes).  If I turn around to
my server and use MusicMatch, the operation takes as long to encode as
it does to play, and I do get a drive light flashing away.

I can play the cd via grip.

> >which works but it's glacially slow in Linux (read: encodes as quickly
> >as it plays)).
>
> Sound about right. :) The encoding from wav to mp3 is very CPU
> intensive. To create mp3's the tracks on you CD are first converted to
> WAV files then to mp3.

Does the wav to mp3 conversion not happen in Windoze?  MMJB encodes very
quickly on that platform, like less than 5 minutes for a disk.

And, yes, I'm looking into ogg vorbis, but I'd have to get things set up
for our Mac clients to listen with, so that's just a little way down the
road.

And to Alvin, thank you for your very detailed post.  I'm afraid,
however, that it's a bit over my head at this point.  I'm sure once I'm
over the hill with this problem that your post will make much more sense
to me!

regards,
Beth
--