[Techtalk] Clueless about Ripping & Encoding Audio

Carlo Hamalainen ch at uqconnect.net
Fri Oct 11 11:15:25 EST 2002

Hi,

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, Akkana wrote:
> Oh, another thing I found about all the various ripping/encoding
> programs: they really want an IDE CD.  I had /dev/cdrom pointing
> to my CD-RW (which is using ide-scsi emulation) and ripping failed
> miserably: some programs complained, other programs tried but failed
> halfway through the first song.  I pointed /dev/cdrom to the IDE dvd
> drive, and now everything except grip works nicely.  I don't know what
> one does on a machine that *only* has an ide-scsi writer.

I have an IDE Sony CD-RW with the ide-scsi kernel module and do:

     cdparanoia -d /dev/sg0 -B

which pokes the scsi-generic device 0 (the ide-scsi IDE burner), and rips
all tracks to individual files (-B).

In my experience most programs want a scsi interface for ripping/burning,
and having the cd-rom on the ide-scsi module makes life easier. It's
especially nice now that RedHat 7.x (and probably 8.x) make this the
default.

-- Carlo