[Techtalk] Setting envelope_from

Katie Bechtold katie at katie-and-rob.org
Thu Oct 10 11:24:54 EST 2002

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 02:26:29PM -0400, Amanda Babcock wrote:
> One solution: if using mutt, put "set envelope_from" in the .muttrc.
> Make sure hostname is also set to just your domain name in the .muttrc.
> Mutt will then invoke sendmail with the -f option, supplying an envelope-
> from of "username at domain.name" for sendmail to use.  Then sendmail will
> issue the command "MAIL FROM: username at domain.name" during negotiations
> with the remote MTA.

That's the solution I've been using (although I tend to think of it
as more of a workaround than a solution).  One thing to note --
although you've probably noticed this already -- is that when you
set envelope_from, sendmail will add a warning like this to your
message headers:

katie at katie-and-rob.org using -f

(Actually, that warning should appear in the header of this very
message.)

At first I was worried that other people might think I was some sort
of e-mail imposter, but I've seen the warning from other people's
MTA's, so I figure it's no big deal.

--
Katie Bechtold
http://katie-and-rob.org/